4 April 2020
Since our recent Statement on the impact of COVID-19 to sport event and programs, Deaf Sports Australia wishes to update the public with more information concerning their deaf sporting affiliates and athletes.
- The planned National 8-ball championship to be held over Easter is cancelled. Will now be held in 2021.
- Deaf Football (AFL) Queens birthday competition is cancelled and postponed until 2021. Australian teams planning to travel to World Deaf Championship events are now cancelled or event has been postponed. They include:
– World Deaf Golf Championships – England
– World Deaf Athletics Championships – Poland
– World Deaf Beach Volleyball Championships – Poland
– World Deaf Football Championships – South Korea
- National Deaf Netball Competition and National Deaf Touch Football Competition to be held later this year are still considering their event and will announce any new updates later this year.
- All Deaf Sport Australia programs with schools and sport clubs have been postponed until after June where another assessment will be made. DSA staff are still working and you are free to make contact with them for information and support.
Keeping fit and Exercise
Public are now limited on getting out and about and playing sport, but you can still keep fit and healthy. Here is what the Prime Minister Morrison said last Wednesday:
“From midnight (Wednesday) all personal training and bootcamp sessions outdoors will be limited to 10 people per group… Boot camps and personal training is limited to a maximum of 10 people. And the social distancing arrangements must be strictly enforced. This means at least 1.5m between each person.”
Deaf Sports Australia encourage you to include fitness options such as walking, running, outdoor personal training in a park or open space or in the home using fitness apps or online workouts using video communication. Current rules could change so keep a lookout for daily government announcements.
Staying at home is not easy so try keeping in contact with your family and friends using technology to assist you.
Remember to keep healthy and safe and stay at home. Here is the Australian Government link to advice in regard to COVID-19. It is regularly updated – https://www.health.gov.au/…/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-hea…
This link is good information in relation to sport – https://ais.gov.au/health-wellbeing/covid-19…
Take care and we will continue to update you regularly.